Open Studio Reviews

2 - 3 Hours
Read Open Studio Reviews

About Open Studio:

Open Studio - Jazz Lesson from Jazz Legends
Be a better jazz player, guaranteed.

Open Studio provides jazz education from today's leaders in jazz in an easy to use and interactive viewing environment.

+1 314-329-7201

Open Studio 5 star review on 29th August 2019
Effie
Open Studio 5 star review on 21st August 2019
John Krantz
Awesome course site for professionals and beginners! More power to you guys!
Very pleased with the online lessons. The format is easy to navigate and the material is presented in a clear, concise way. Thanks!
Needs better interface
HI Jóhannes,
We would love to hear your feedback on improvements we can make to the interface. Please let us know at support@openstudionetwork.com.

Thanks,
Dan Martin
Co-Founder, Open Studio
As an intermediate student of Jazz, Open Studio allowed me to focus on exactly what I needed to practice in order to improve.
Fantastic, really helpful.
Being a classically trained pianist, I have been trying to learn jazz piano on my own without much success. I tried various blogs, youtube channels and books, but it always felt like piece meal without a cohesive plan. The courses from Open Studio courses really fit my needs with sequential well-planned lessons and guided practices. The instructors are phenomenal musicians and they make it fun.
This isn’t an exhaustive review because i’ve only recently started a couple of courses. But I love the relaxed & easy to follow conversational style of the videos (even while discussing quite theoretical subject matter). Enjoy the knowledgeable presenters. The support & community aspect is impressive too. The commitment to music as an art form, to teaching, & to the community of musicians is palpable. Keep up the good work!
I love the way Peter Martin approaches his lessons. (As well as everyone else.) I’ve always lacked confidence with solo piano, even though I have performed solo piano throughout my musical career. But thanks to Peter, Adam, and Geoffrey - I’ve become confident in knowing what to work on, and how to continually develop my sound - especially when you have a family, work, and this global pandemic!
Thanks so much Open Studio!
Generally speaking, i'm happy. The content is quite good, the explanations are good for the most part. I will say that I'm not too thrilled with all the altered chords in the arrangements, I really think they are dissonant, except as passing tones, and they are often used as a prime sustaining chord. I change them to 6 or M7 or 6-9. Also, whereas Adam is a good tutor, I would like little more about why a chord fits where he has it. He kinda glosses it over a bit.
Open studio has been my entire friends and family, my educational nourishment and my entertainment during this Pandemic!
Love the teaching styles of Adam and Pete. Did have some functionality problems on the 7 day trial (keyboard and living note) which makes me hesitate on taking out a subscription
Professor Hand was extremely helpful and I am looking forward to working with her again next week!
Es ist so gut von den besten Musikern zu lernen!! Danke
I Recently purchased "elements of solo piano " w/Geoff Keezer the discount was great.
for me though, this package was not a good fit. Keezer is a fantastic play-no doubt about that, but I expected that he might go into a more spelled out break down of what he was doing in the transcription-didn't happen. Adam's vids were very good in content but a lot of it was stuff I've already done. Very excellent for beginners. To be honest, if I had reviewed all the content ahead of time, I wouldn't have purchased the course.
Hi Paul,

Sorry this course wasn't a great fit for you. We are happy to exchange it of give you a refund. Just shoot us an email at support@openstudionetwork.com

Best,
Dan
co-founder, Open Studio
This relates rather particularly to BEBOP ENCLOSURES as a basis for a jazz language: I began to watch some youtube vids once I became aware of bebop enclosures, which happened after striving to play upright bass on and off for years, and then discovering ukulele bass, with a very short scale and rubber strings which sounds so much better than harsh electric bass, and discovering Todd Johnson's Bass Module method. Anyway, as a jazz lover and self-taught music teacher on several instruments (I also had theory lessons and know lotsa "facts" cold, but my hearing is still in need of refinement), I had NEVER understood leading tones or "chromaticism" via other "jazz methods". For 35+ yrs I have struggled to play jazz, and tho I transcribed many solos and bought 400+ books and many CD's, and though I could see notes around chord notes in transcribed solos, I NEVER understood (I hate to say) the "simplicity" of the idea, which is to target important notes in the harmony, via enclosures, and hence make one's solos sound legit. I was amazed, in younger years, looking thru the Omnibook, how Bird could play notes near the important notes of chords, and sound great. But how to do that, I had no clue! I was a victim, sadly, of poor education. (But at least I kept struggling.) There is NO mention of bebop enclosures in a certain free jazz handbook. None in the version I received in early 2020, and none in the many I received in years before. But that cat sells some of the BEST spiritual books which have changed my life, without which I would be VERY lost. All in all, the spiritual path is most important, but I sure wish I coulda made better music along the path of my life. But, I am STARTING NOW to get a grasp, so hey, next lifetime I hope to be able to play "the moment". A song title comes to mind..."I can dream, can't I?" (Look, if A.M. and P.M. would prefer that I edit this, I shall, and you all can delete this part, but my STRUGGLE WAS REAL, AND I HAVE BEEN THAT ODDBALL JAZZLOVER ALL OF MY ADULT LIFE.)
It’s the best instruction I have ever encountered. I’ve learned a great deal that really effectively change the way how I cultivate and approach improvisation in general. I live in Thailand and am Thai so I have got some problem attending events because of the difference of the time zone.
Haven't been able to do much with the course, not because of it's presentation, but because my upright bass had to go to the doctor's and get its neck fixed. So I am empty handed for 10 days....
C’est génial, il faut être patient, et je sens que je progresse, même si il me faudrait des journées de 48h00 pour espérer avoir le temps de travailler plus de choses différentes. Je suis sûr que vous apprécierez ce petit message en français dans le texte. Merci encore et félicitations à tous pour votre sympathie et votre pédagogie.
Matthieu
Love what Open Studio offers & so grateful for the wide variety of courses and great musical content!
Block Chords Made Easy is a very comprehensible approach in studying this technique. Adam Manners is a very talented musician and teacher.
Open Studio is rated 4.75 based on 943 reviews