Open Studio Reviews

2 - 3 Hours
Read Open Studio Reviews

About Open Studio:

Open Studio - Jazz Lesson from Jazz Legends
Be a better jazz player, guaranteed.

Open Studio provides jazz education from today's leaders in jazz in an easy to use and interactive viewing environment.

+1 314-329-7201

support@openstudionetwork.com

3547 Olive St.

Tell us how Open Studio made you happy
すべて日本語(japan)に訳して!
I did the Pentatonics course and still working through it to build speed particularly with the triplets and semi quaver patterns. My disappointment was in not having suggested fingering for right hand on all twelve scales. I appreciate that we can work out what is supposedly best for ourselves but written suggestions would have been beneficial in keeping with the support promised.
Userfriendly and practical way to improve my piano skills! I love it
The Jumpstart course is little bit confusing. It starts with description of pianos, synths, midi, usb... and the first guided lessons beginns with an etude which is maybe moderate for beginners. Greetings Bartosz
It's a short review alright, too early to say. It's probably a big topic there how to convert new subscribers to active participating students. In my experience you need to paint the picture and get the learner to finish it, to own it. The catch22 is that we need to convince ourselves that sitting down and practicing is desireable and worth doing. And not just on principle but in fact -- practice is fun, even when it isn't! Your several emails since I signed for the 7 wk intro course have touched on several topics. This is good but they also muddy the water by talking about "lifetime entry", other courses, huge discounts, etc. All very distracting for ADHD types like myself who need to be insulated from the flotsam and jetsam of the misinformation age. What might be more conducive to helping the new student step from boat to shore would be a courtesy email welcoming him/her to the PM fold and telling them you have a surprise for them at the end of Lesson 1. And send them that tee 4shirt. Don't get me wrong: your website and emails are well done, too much so. Getting them on first base is when you can pull out all the stoppers but not before, if you know what I mean. First 10 days following a purchase devoted to polishing the focus and building a personal connection. Doesn't need to be one of you two guys. A warm pleasant rep can do the job. Some thoughts.. Marcus B. Comox Valley, BC
I'm going to try and be constructively critical. While the talent on Open Studio is nothing short of phenomenal, the site layout and navigation and organization of courses could use a strong overhaul. I started by signing up for one website and then discovered it had moved to another name and then another site and I have NO clue what I'm a part of. Open Studio? Open Studio Network? Open Studio Jazz? Here are some humble suggestions: 1. When soloing, Peter Martin is a monster. Incredible. When I want to learn how to solo like Peter Martin, he'll SHRED 50,000 lines and then not remember anything he just did. So I'm just sitting in amazement but have NO idea how to achieve what he did. I would love for him to take a song and maybe take a hot lick and stop and explain what he did. Or take a 4 bar phrase and explain his thought process of approaching solo lines. I would suggest a director or producer to either slow him down ... or perhaps stop and rewind the tape to make him remember his lines. Sometimes he'll just start blazing and go off in tangents. 2. Incorporate some pop tunes. I know this a jazz site but many of us play gigs with pop tunes in them and I'd love to hear some takes on how to solo over standard pop songs. Even if it's Sittin On The Dock Of The Bay, I'd love to hear it. Let's face it, guys like me have played "My Girl" 2 billion times but Thelonius Monk doesn't get requested at Josiah's Bar Mitzvah. 3. Incorporate some practice mindset or psychology. I'll refer you to "Peak" by Anders Ericsson. 4. Dumb down the sheet music. I love Keezer's courses. But his transcriptions to his songs would only take me a 435-year half-life to learn. Maybe this serves some virtuoso pianists ... but I feel like it doesn't really serve the broad spectrum of subscribers. I learn SO much more from his course when he says "here are 4 intros to tunes you can use" rather than "here's a 12-page song in 11/72 time. Good luck!" I really do enjoy my courses but overall I feel like the subscriber would learn a lot more if the teacher treated it like a one on one session. Rather than sitting down and shredding 12 bars, show me HOW to do it and don't just burn up the keyboard and then move on. These are just my $.02. Happy reading!
Open Studio is fantastic! Great resource for on-the-go professionals and students who want to learn or refresh some chops. I would highly recommend this resource to anyone who plays music and owns a computer, or Phone. Thank you Open Studio!
Open Studio Jazz is a great source of inspiration and learning for me (piano). I bought the dirst 2 courses taught by G. Keezer. These cover a great amount of material, and in great in depth. GK is a very effective teacher and the material provided is extremely valuable. I spent almost one year studying only the first one (!) and I feel I made a huge progress. I strongly reccomend OSJ and look forward new exciting courses.
Great content, but website could use a more user-friendly interface.
I have recently joined the course "Piano Technique - Pentatonics". It is a good idea to include these exercises into your daily practice and I feel how I'm getting more control and dexterity and I hope I can transfer this to my general playing. Anyway I'm still in the first week of the practice and I hope there will also be some ideas how to use these pentatonic patterns in real jazz pieces or improvisations.
A great course for beginning vibists with great exercises to learn voice leading and chord inversions Also prompt courteous and caring customer service
Hey Grandon,

Sorry that course wasn't a good fit. Let us know if there is a different one you would like to try.

Best,
Dan @ OS
I like the method and learn about this wonderful world that is jazz the only thing that will narrow down is that if there were the subtitles in Spanish it would be great as I would understand more in depth I hope that in the future I have many musician friends who interest them the courses but the Language. They're afraid that everything is in English but congratulations are very happy at Open Studio
The. Video and simultaneous transcription with ability to vary the speed and looping is great. The demos in Elements of Jazz series are great. I find more difficult the left hand voicing and particularly once past the elementary stages the quick descriptions of complex chord sequences much to fast. Also the memorizing the various scales from dominant, myxolydian bebop etc in rapid sequence seems impossible to translate to ones fingers while playing. I can tell what sounds good in what Peter and Adam play and slavishly copy it note by note. I’m in my first 8 months and practice about 10 hours a week. I enjoy it immensely and the time flies by while doing it and that is the main thing. I figure I’m about 10 years away from being able to improvise anything remotely like what I hear them play...but Tommy Flanagan sounds superb on his 90th birthday album ( not that I’ll ever be playing like him of course - just giving an age sample as I am 67). I even can play Donna Lee transcription at about 30 percent speed so I guess that’s something.
The only thing missing is an app. I think there’s so much possibility there. -Mike
Hi there , as for the content I found the website absoloutely on spot If there is one thing that in my opinion could make the experience significantly better is around the explanation in which for example an idea is explained in words and then demonstrated on the piano While the words are easy to understand quite often there where beautifull piano playing ideas that just went too fast and not broken into slow motion digestable examples
Hi. Its great. I wish more etudes and exercises over material as comping , be bop scales. All best
I would add subtitles in english to let to understand everything to person that don't speak english every day.Then i would make also an app to quickly access to each course.
Hello. Thanks for the review. We do actually have English subtitles on all of the courses except the Jazz Piano Method. Check them out.
So far the information is very inspiring. I would like to see more transcriptions for the drums.
Very good approach for Keez for Piano, and Approaching the Lead Sheet. Both courses offered practical useable information. The Penatonics course is not as useful. It so far (3 lessons) has been playing a pentatonic scale, with the instructor and a metronome. The accompanying fingering chart is only for the right hand. The instructors state to find your own fingering which for this is not helpful. To develop control, speed, dexterity and power for scale like playing the the fingering is critical. Almost all of the success of rapid playing depends on developing useable fingering for both hands. I found another book to help with pentatonic scales specifically which devotes a lot of time to the fingering. It has been more helpful. The pentatonics course as you may deduce for me is not helpful. I don't know if /when I will do another course from Open Studio. I will keep looking though at the options.
Love the content. Best there is. Peter, Adam and Geoffrey are better than anyone out there. Don’t love the pricing and clarity of purchase options. Also, all content (once purchased) should be downloadable so I am not relying on internet.
Open Studio is rated 4.77 based on 607 reviews