Open Studio Reviews

Live Chat, Email, Telephone
Read Open Studio Reviews

About Open Studio:

Open Studio - Jazz Lesson from Jazz Legends
Be a better jazz player, guaranteed.

Open Studio provides jazz education from today's leaders in jazz in an easy to use and interactive viewing environment.

+1 314-329-7201

support@openstudionetwork.com

3547 Olive St.

Tell us how Open Studio made you happy
I like the method and learn about this wonderful world that is jazz the only thing that will narrow down is that if there were the subtitles in Spanish it would be great as I would understand more in depth I hope that in the future I have many musician friends who interest them the courses but the Language. They're afraid that everything is in English but congratulations are very happy at Open Studio
The. Video and simultaneous transcription with ability to vary the speed and looping is great. The demos in Elements of Jazz series are great. I find more difficult the left hand voicing and particularly once past the elementary stages the quick descriptions of complex chord sequences much to fast. Also the memorizing the various scales from dominant, myxolydian bebop etc in rapid sequence seems impossible to translate to ones fingers while playing. I can tell what sounds good in what Peter and Adam play and slavishly copy it note by note. I’m in my first 8 months and practice about 10 hours a week. I enjoy it immensely and the time flies by while doing it and that is the main thing. I figure I’m about 10 years away from being able to improvise anything remotely like what I hear them play...but Tommy Flanagan sounds superb on his 90th birthday album ( not that I’ll ever be playing like him of course - just giving an age sample as I am 67). I even can play Donna Lee transcription at about 30 percent speed so I guess that’s something.
The only thing missing is an app. I think there’s so much possibility there. -Mike
Hi there , as for the content I found the website absoloutely on spot If there is one thing that in my opinion could make the experience significantly better is around the explanation in which for example an idea is explained in words and then demonstrated on the piano While the words are easy to understand quite often there where beautifull piano playing ideas that just went too fast and not broken into slow motion digestable examples
Hi. Its great. I wish more etudes and exercises over material as comping , be bop scales. All best
I would add subtitles in english to let to understand everything to person that don't speak english every day.Then i would make also an app to quickly access to each course.
Hello. Thanks for the review. We do actually have English subtitles on all of the courses except the Jazz Piano Method. Check them out.
So far the information is very inspiring. I would like to see more transcriptions for the drums.
Very good approach for Keez for Piano, and Approaching the Lead Sheet. Both courses offered practical useable information. The Penatonics course is not as useful. It so far (3 lessons) has been playing a pentatonic scale, with the instructor and a metronome. The accompanying fingering chart is only for the right hand. The instructors state to find your own fingering which for this is not helpful. To develop control, speed, dexterity and power for scale like playing the the fingering is critical. Almost all of the success of rapid playing depends on developing useable fingering for both hands. I found another book to help with pentatonic scales specifically which devotes a lot of time to the fingering. It has been more helpful. The pentatonics course as you may deduce for me is not helpful. I don't know if /when I will do another course from Open Studio. I will keep looking though at the options.
Love the content. Best there is. Peter, Adam and Geoffrey are better than anyone out there. Don’t love the pricing and clarity of purchase options. Also, all content (once purchased) should be downloadable so I am not relying on internet.
Hi i recently joined open studio to learn jazz piano and I am just doing the jump start course so it will be more beneficial if you tell me after finishing the jump start course which course should i join and the entire sequence of courses to become a pro jazz player...thank you
The content is good so far, but there is no engagement. When I left a comment it really just feels like I talking to myself. The quiz on Swinging the ride cymbal, is not good.The jazz fundamental course says it is for intermediate/advanced. The questions do not reflect the level. The player and its functionality are great. I was running into a bug when the sheet music would display but the locator would freeze at a location and the content would stop entirely. Keep it up!
I have been a open studio member since 2017. I have an all access pass and have been enjoying my membership. I recently purchased the elements workbook only to find that the element blues lines -demo pages were missing from the workbook. I was able to print them out from the online lesson but they should have been included in the book. I wish that all of the piano methods lessons would include detailed transcriptions of the lessons. for example: The Body and Soul revisited lesson did include an eight bar transcription from the beginning of the lesson but Peter has such great cluster voicings and lines in the rest of the lesson and there is no available transcription.
This is what I needed. Help me go on from my level.
I am just starting using the platform, so far so good
Topics and the taught material are very good on Open Studio. The musicians are wonderful and their skills are amazing. Howewer, in my opinion, often it's not simple to follow the lessons because most of the interesting things are not explained nice and slowly. I'm pretty an intermediate/advanced piano player, so if I have this kind of difficulty, I think that this problem is widespread if most of the subscribers are beginner. Obviously this is my opinion. Finally I'm pretty sorry because I think that, with these musicians, I could learn a lot of things and become a better musicians, but unfortunately this is not so easy. I'm aware that topic is complex, but in the future, if this question can be solved, please do it.
Excellent it actually merits five but I am a bit slow because of an orthopedic problem that occurred in my RH fingers. Therefore cannot concentrate fully. Thank you
So far so good.
I'm a you'll hear it premium member, and I love the podcast, and the podcasters. The only reason why my vote is 4 and not 5 is because the website, sometimes, gives me issues. Loving all that you are doing guys, keep on going!
The video quality is good, but at times the videos take some time to load. Maybe it’s a browser issue.
Please, English subtitles to movie, because I'm not good at listening English.
Open Studio is rated 4.71 based on 448 reviews