John Lewis Reviews

59% of reviewers recommend John Lewis
A
A: Big Online Retailers with Unhappy Customers.
B
Online Presence
High
Courier, Own Driver
Telephone, Email, Live Chat

How would you rate John Lewis ?

"Emailed john lewis this morning about a price match, was refunded the diffence within hours. Very quick response from stephen in customer services. Very happy thank you"
"I Recently Purchased a Samsung 55" QLED TV from Peterborough I was told by the Sales person that I would be able to qualify for a Free England Football Shirt when I recieve my New TV. I have tried calling Samsung and John Lewis and had no Joy. Apparently it was for a March April promotion well I purchased end of June Missold Not Happy."
"I ordered an item online but it got lost in the post. Was not even contacted by John Lewis to let me know so I was waiting for more than one week. After contacting John Lewis via email, they made no effort to correct this, and said that if I still wanted the item, I would have to contact them during business hours by phone only."
"I thought John Lewis was well known for great service however when I went into the Chester branch today on the Greyhound retail park the staff were far from helpful. I asked someone up stairs for help finding a vase I had seen on the website. I had been looking around the store for about 20 minutes before asking for help. I was informed by a lady upstairs in what area it would be downstairs when I confirmed I had already looked she advised me that her system was showing 2 available therefore I should go and have another look downstairs and if I still can’t find it then ask someone at the till. I made my way downstairs for another look of which I still couldn’t find what I was looking for. I asked the lady on the till for help she had a look around and told me the store must be reporting the wrong number but I could go and order online. I wanted to see the purchase which is why I went to store and telling me to just go online is not helpful. I won’t be going to the store again anytime soon and I won’t be ordering online because I want to see before I buy."
Clive Sheeter
Unverified Reviewer
"An email I sent this morning regarding fraud ..... Dear Sir, Yesterday I reported to you a fraudulent transaction on my John Lewis online account as well as my John Lewis Partnership credit card. This morning I tried to speak to the John Lewis fraud department (not HSBC the finance section) and for at least an hour was blocked and obstructed with massive incompetence. The first call after 10 minutes was cut off by someone who needs training with your phone systems. The second call after 15 minutes was put though to HSBC, the credit card finance people for John Lewis credit cards, even though I specifically explained that I want to discuss my online John Lewis account and I then had to end that call as HSBC were unable to transfer me back. The third call was the most frustrating, and of course I was massively stressed at that point. For 30 minutes I was dealt with by ****** – PY**** who although spoke nicely and politely was absolutely useless and obviously did not have a clue as to the importance of the call or what to do. Eventually after 30 minutes I gave her my home phone number and said it was now her problem and I was ending the call. The appalling way your call centre staff dealt with me this morning beggars belief – especially as you are John Lewis. I am trying to help you prevent a fraud against your company and it is obvious that you are not geared up for this. It was only my prompt action at 08:00 yesterday morning that prevented you loosing a £1,255.00 iMac laptop. My online John Lewis account is still active as you have done nothing to stop this account. It still contains an email address *************@outlook.com which is an email address which has nothing to do with me and is used by the fraudsters. It also has a mobile number 07574 *** *** which is a mobile number of the fraudsters. Stop this John Lewis account now if you want to prevent further fraud. Please also contact me urgently 020 **** **** over the weekend to deal with this. My office number 07:00 to 15:00 weekdays is 020 **** ****. I await your return call and am copying this email to Metropolitan Police and my solicitors for their information and for the record. Regards,"
Dr Berna Bridge
Unverified Reviewer
"I bought a garden table set (and its two chairs) from Oxford John Lewis, to be delivered to our London flat from their London branch 12 days ago. Still have not received it them because: 1) Noori, the shop assistant in Oxford, (I think this is his name) the young man who did the ordering ordered the wrong stuff, gave the wrong code number!!! 2) The truck driver went to number 126 instead of 129, though the address given to John Lewis is 129. Obviously he was not interested in his job, not paying attention, like Noori. 3) the following week, the truck driver found the right number building but delivered the wrong stuff as Noori had ordered the wrong code number. 4) As it is impossible to reach the righ person by telephone I had to go all the way to the Oxford shop from London. A lady called Karen seemed very helpful, (only seemed, was not helpful at all in the end) said someone would call me by 12:00 the next day to slove the problem. 5) Nobody called. So, I went again for a third time to the Oxford shop in the afternoon. 6) Nobody had an idea about my problem, nobody was willing to help or call Karen... Young shop asistants were busy socialising. I do regret having shopped at John Lewis. Big mistake. Nobody cares, everyone does half a job. Full of young, irresponsible, immature asistants... Who is going to compensate for all my time, energy and frustration? Dr. B. Bridge"
"Purchased TV from John Lewis in February 2018. . Noticed within a week the sound kept going, the TV was repaired for that fault but was returned with another fault. Have been trying to resolve the matter with John Lewis who after 4 weeks are saying it’s a software problem which their 5 year warranty does not cover (how convenient). The people at John Lewis who answer your call are pleasant, full of apologies,even admitted I have been given the run around but have not resolved the issue. No one seems to read your notes,a different person rings you back every time or if you ring them it is some one different and you have to explain everything again and still not get a resolution. After four weeks of to and fro-ing I have now been told I have to deal with manufacturer even though television is under six months old!,Very,very poor customer service. First item I have ever purchased from John Lewis and most certainly won’t be buying from there again."
Natasha Jones
Unverified Reviewer
"Poor product, and terrible customer service. Disappointed, as we have spent a considerable amount of money in your stores, and owning a company myself, I am aware of how to deal with complaints to resolve the matter in a satisfactory manner, which you, John lewis seem unable to do. I do not expect to have to make 4 phone calls (and a considerable length of time on hold) over 10 days to try to resolve a very simple matter. I had been told I would receive good will vouchers, which never arrived, as did the phone calls I was told I would receive. The refund has been given eventually but the whole 'palava' (your own staff's words) has left me very disappointed in John Lewis."
Smeg Fridge Freezer
Unverified Reviewer
"Bought a Smeg fridge from John Lewis which developed a fault which was diagnosed as a manufacturers fault we proceeded with attempting to get it replaced. Since reporting the fault to John Lewis over a month ago they initially tried to palm us off to the manufacturer and have since failed on numerous occasions to rectify the issue even though we have now proceeded to a formal complaint. Their staff are rude and completely unhelpful, not mentioning the fact they have a complete lack of understanding of their own complaints procedure which appears to be completely non existent. How can a retailer treat people so badly. Been without a fridge freezer for over a month in the height of summer and John Lewis could care less. Appalling customer service - John Lewis you have lost a previously loyal customer!"
Kerry Boyd
"They are a fab company. Never any hassles with delivery. Customer service is second to none. Excellent value with extended warranties on big electrical goods and price matched! Amazing British company with British values at heart! Please don't ever close down John Lewis"
"Wow only 59% in ratings on here ! and the high complaints on Trustpilot I’m just anther in the long list of shocked customers of how this company has lost their unique customer call , without this customers will view the internet and realise you can purchase nearly all the top brands at JL elsewhere. Just look up the companys own websites you will have a larger choice to choose from . You’ll be first in line for when brands you desire have sales with great delivery service and outstanding customer care departments that will look after you as they value your custom . I have recently done this and questioned myself why I hadn’t before . JL have invested In outsourcing what was their outstanding customer care service department to Capita ! Why would any company with such high standards pass over their golden coin to let someone else throw it down the drain"
"I have purchased my l pad from JL in 2014 and took out added care, once my 3 years ran out on added care I repurchased it again. 2 weeks ago the IPad was accidentally damaged. Called JL the got it booked it, Greenbridge company JL added care use took it away and rang me 3 days later saying it was unrepairable and they will send out a refurbished one. I explained that JL added care sold the policy to me explains is your item is unrepairable they send out a new one to similar spec or if the don’t have the model then something to higher to the same value you have already spent on the existing one we have purchased. I then get told from added care team that no it has to be a refurbished one and if I accept this then my added care policy will continue. I explained that this isn’t what I have been sold and on the policy it stated replacement and Not refurbished. This was the information also given to me by the JL advisor in store.. Added care team says go and take it up with them. They then said that the terms state this, I explained that I read on the JL website added care and it says nothing about refurbished item! They then claimed these terms / conditions were updated so read the ones that I had.. I then explained I never got any terms and conditions when I paid online for the policy.. JL added care advisor Kirsty’s answers well you should have read the renewal! I explained that despite the terms on renewal I still should have had terms and conditions once purchase of policy was made! Kirsty’s answer was WELL SORRY IF YOU DIDNT HET THEM BUT YOU SHOULD HAVE READ THE RENEWAL The issue is if terms and conditions aren’t sent when we purchase a policy then we don’t know what the small print says plus we have a cooling of period to cancel! Kirsty then says I have sent the terms and conditions now to my email and you know I still do not have anything. I explained that I haven’t had anything she then said well it’s an automated system that sends them .. and sorry if you haven’t got them. Since last week I have approached JL director office but they keep sending me back to added care escalation team which is Kirsty! Because the directors office say we have no idea regarding added care terms ! But if these people who are part of JL have no idea on the terms of added care then how does the average person like us know? The escalation have bullied me politely and have offered either have the refurbished iPad or take your unrepairable one back and £35 from the remaining added care policy. I have gone back to the directors office but still waiting on a response!!!!! I have been extermely loyal to JL and shopped obver £100 of pounds, taken added care on everything I purchased but honestly DO NOT BUY IT! This is my first claim and believe me JL true colours are out. NO ONE HELPS... directors office or JL added care they push you and force their decision upon you. Directors office says there the best people.. JL added care don’t have any care or value for there customers. To be honest addedcare aren’t even a part of JL there just a third party company who are doing great in loosing JL loyal customers. Since this claim I have looked up and JL have the worst customer services reviews... God know what’s Gona happen with my complaint .. it’s a waiting game now :( spoken to another lady called Louise who said she will investigate this complaint and comeback to me. Guys please be careful and don’t waste your money on added care."
"Ordered television on Saturday was told I would receive between the hours of 2 and 7pm. Waited in all day missing five hours work. Rang at 9.30 and after 30 minutes someone answered and I was told I had missed my slot! After 20 minutes of asking for explanations I was told it would be delivered the following Wednesday no apology, Why did I have waste all that time when all John Lewis had to do was 'phone or email me to tell me there was a problem. I was made to feel it was my fault that they hadn't delivered and now I have been promised a week late at a time that suits them and not me. Whatever happened to customer service. Last time I deal with this company."
"I delighted with the friendly efficient service I received in the leed store on tues. Don't have the assistant name,but ref is LD2223.This young lady deserves big thank you after finding perfect shoes,and bag for my sons wedding ."
"Ordered blinds on next day delivery. The delivery failed 3 days running. I was never informed of this by text or email. Despite speaking to customer services 6 times they jad no idea why the blinds were not delivered. They blamed DPD. My contract was with John Lewis though. Dreadful customer service."
"I never thought I would say this but John Lewis must be the worst store in the UK. Their customer support is nothing short of appalling, they close ranks and protect their diminishing profits rather admit they are wrong. Do not buy any big value items from them, firstly they have very poor knowledge on the products they sell, then when you get a problem they will deny what they have advised, making their so called wonderful warranties worthless and not worth the paper they are written on. Trading Standards seriously need to take a look at their current practices."
Gaynor Dayus-reason
"Great prices and delivery options and can collect in store for free. Happy customer"
"extreemly poor customer service's. nearly 3 weeks to sort the problem which was all of JL doing. if they want to charge for services without any intention of full filling their obligation they have to take the consequenses."
"Received awful technical support on an intermittently failing iMac. Initially told not to put it to sleep and not to use certain well known software and take it home when I knew it was a hardware issue - the power would just cut out. Took it back and they sent it off. 3 weeks later came back wiped with the os reinstalled. Same issue occurred. Took it back, 3 weeks later they had replaced the main board. Same issue again. Took it back, three weeks later they had replaced the wifi board. Complained and they said they didn't even count the first repair. Luckily I still had 5 days of the first year guarantee remaining so I booked it in with Apple Bluewater. They immediately said that would never be a software issue and also they would focus on the power components, the power supply, power inlet and logic board. They fix them on site and phone after 3-5 days with a fix time of 7-10 compared with John Lewis saying 28 days each time with no communication. After 5 days they phoned to say it was ready. Problem has not happened again. John Lewis have no communication between their tech support line and in store. No communication between in store and the company they use for repairs. And clearly that company are not good at all. Their three year guarantee on this case is worthless and i will pay at apple for any future problems."
Miranda Anglias
Verified Reviewer
"WARNING TO JOHN LEWIS VOUCHER Holders.... I have been saving my JL vouchers, a gift from my mum, to buy something special. I have bought hundreds of pounds on boring atuff for the family in JL since receiving them, but wanted to find something special for me to spend them on. Being a working mother I rarely have time to spend browsing the shops, so time has slipped by since receiving the voucher. Finally I found something I wanted to buy only to be almost laughed at at the till and be told the voucher has expired. “Computer says no”. Caching ££££ John Lewis. I was devatastated. I have since seen customer services and written to complain and they just say there is nothing they can do. I thought John Lewis prided in looking after their customers and never knowingly misssold!!! That is rich.. I think this is criminal. Why do vouchers need to expire in the first place. Money does not expire, so why should voucher. I am extremely disappointed and will NOT be shoppingnin JL for the foreseeable future. Extremely annoyed, of london."
John Lewis is rated 3.36 based on 1,248 reviews